The worlds best ballhead just got better!
The Acratech GP Ball-Head has long been recognized as a leader in its class. The GP even won DP Reviews coveted “Top Pick”. Now Acratech is moving competitively forward with their new GXP Ball-Head. The GXP has a wide range of significant new features and it continues the tradition of Acratech's world-class quality.
Our Acratech GXP Ball-Head is uniquely designed to function as a Ball Head, a gimbal head, and a leveling panoramic head. It’s like getting 3 pieces of equipment all wrapped up in one beautiful and lightweight unit!
The Gimbal action will have you shooting action like a pro. The Gimbal feature works with any lens (up to 400mm F4.0) that has a tripod collar. The pin in the bottom of the ball and the sleeve on the stem of the ball is what creates a smooth pivot for the Gimbal.
Unscrew the quick release clamp and put it onto the bottom of the head and you are now ready to use the the GXP Ball-Head to create level, single row panoramas. This eliminates the need to carry a separate leveling base in order to create accurate stitched panoramas, as you'll be able to pan parallel to the horizon even when using your tripod on rocky or uneven terrain.
All Acratech Ball-Heads are designed and built to be lightweight for travel photography and rugged for the active outdoor photographer. The open structure lets moisture, dirt and debris fall through instead of being trapped inside a socket.
Available with our Arca Swiss style, knob or locking lever quick release clamp.
New Features of the GXP
- Solidly supports an impressive 50lbs. (double the capacity of the GP)
- The GXP only weighs 1lb bearing a 50:1 load ratio.
- Large, easy to tighten, high torque lock knob is easy to tighten even with heavy winter gloves on.
- New extra fine tension adjustment.
- Our unique, panoramic adjustable zero pointer makes it easy to return to your starting point when you are shooting a sequence of images.
- The quick release clamp has deep side notches for more clearance with other manufacturers stop screws.
- The level on the quick release clamp is clearly visible even with your camera attached to the clamp.
- Our quick release clamp jaws are more pointed to be more compatible with some manufactures quick release plates with less pointed dovetails.
- The locking lever clamp has a safety zone so the first 25% of the levers motion will not allow your camera to release.
12 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I purchased the GPX Ball-head with the lever clamp and found it to be very well designed and constructed. It works very well with my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod and Nikon D810 camera. One of the top five items in my camera gear.
This is a nice head. I'm not sure how they get the increased load rating, as it does not seem any more robust. The main knob is a nice improvement. However, the panning smoothness leaves alot to be desired. For a head that is advertised as a gimbal, it could be much better. There is a definate unevenness in the way it rotates and the friction adjustment could be improved.
Have only used one day. Two observations: 1) when the ballhead is mounted to a large head tripod base the knob to loosen or tighten the rotation base of the ballhead the knob sits close to the tripod head making it a little difficult to access. Also, this knob relative to the pretensioner knob for the ballhead is close enough to not be quite enough room for easy access. In winter conditions wearing gloves I have reservations about have easy it will be to access the knob.