MSRP:Was:Now: $229.95 - $249.95
Compact and solid ballhead
I purchased this ballhead because I use a combination of a leveling base and an ultimate ballhead (both from Acratech). The GXP ballhead is more compact. The knobs take a little time getting used to, particularly the one for adjusting the ballhead friction. I fould only one default: the level is too small, and hard to see in low light. It could be the same size as the one on the leveling base, without much change in weight.
Absolute must have
Tried different tripod heads for same or different purposes being satisfied in some cases but mostly so-so. Then a friend of mine suggested to look for Acratech products. Briefly: I got the Gp-ss ballhead and tried it.
In one sentence: It's a must have product. Robust but lightweight, easy to use, high quality build.
Highly recommend it.
- Dr. Harout
Great Companion for Astrophotography
I have one of the small, inexpensive, star trackers, and I tried many different ball heads and angle plates to try and easily orient my camera to different directions near the horizon over the course of the night. The Ultimate's 45 degree offset makes this VERY easy, and it is a much studier setup than using the angle plates to level a regular ball head. I also really like the locking lever release.
- Cathy Summers
Acratech GP Lever Clamp
I bought the Acratech GP with Level Clamp about 3 weeks ago. I have been using it in doors so far. Just practicing with it on my tripod. Been very satisfied with it. I use it with a Feisol 3472LV tripod and have attached Nikon D750 with both a Nikon 28-300mm and Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. It has performed great with no creep at all. It moves very smoothly. I have not yet tried out the gimbal head feature on it. The size and weight of the head is great.
- Barry Moskowitz
I've been using the GP ball head and am amazed at the fine workmanship, versatility, ease of use and design of this ball head. I feel my camera is secure when using the Actatech clamp and ball head. Moving the camera is smooth and easy. The design allows the bullhead to stay clean, even at the beach. I haven't done any panoramas yet, but plan to soon. Best ball head ever!
- Jay Rohn
I purchased the GPX Ball-head with the lever clamp and found it to be very well designed and constructed. It works very well with my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 tripod and Nikon D810 camera. One of the top five items in my camera gear.
- David Swanson
Absolute must have
Tried different tripod heads for same or different purposes being satisfied in some cases but mostly so-so. Then a friend of mine suggested to look for Acratech products. Briefly: I got the Gp-ss ballhead and tried it. In one sentence: It's a must have product. Robust but lightweight, easy to use, high quality build. Highly recommend it.
- Dr. Harout
Photography Products you can trust from Acratech
Photography is a hobby that is pursued by many. From seasoned professionals to newbies, the right photography equipment is essential to get clean sharp images.
Who We Are?
Acratech is the manufacturer of quality precision photography products which are made in the United States of America. Acratech is a family-owned entity which specializes in making high value, innovative items for photography and imaging such as ball-heads, tripod heads, quick release clamps, travel photography gear and camera plates. All our products are proudly made in their Pomona, CA within a facility which utilizes the finest materials and top quality workmanship. The company employs experts who aren't just qualified craftsmen but are talented photographers as well. This guarantees that high-quality materials and workmanship is deployed into every piece as the representatives have the same enthusiasm for the craft.
Scott Dordick, founder and CEO of Acratech, designed the first model ‘The Ultimate Ball-Head’ in 1999. He fabricated the prototype on his own because no one else was making a Ball-Head specifically for outdoor use. His ideal Ball-Head would be light enough for backpacking, strong enough to hold his medium format camera (and sometimes large format) and rugged enough to work smoothly regardless of the elements in mountains, deserts or ocean. A background in building race cars and owning a machine shop enabled him to build the Ball-Head of his dreams. Scott was urged to market his unique Ball-Head by other photographers who saw it while he was photographing. His mechanical abilities fueled by his enthusiasm for photography brought forth creative Acratech products that are top of the line in quality, form and functionality.
Elegant, lightweight and reliable photography gear by Acratech
1. Acratech Professional Ball-Heads – Acratech GP Series Ball-Head is named “Best Overall” because of its unconventional design which combines functions like a Ball-Head, panoramic head and gimbal head. It has a very smooth ball motion at all load levels and is equally capable as an upside-down head for level pans. It has excellent construction, fit and finish. To top it all, it is ideal for inclement weather and rough travel which makes it one of the best travel photography gear. With the added benefits of panoramic and gimbal head capabilities, the Acratech GP Ball-Head is truly an innovative and well-designed precision product that is best for professional and amateur photographers.
2. Tripod Heads – Tripod heads include the Acratech long lens head and the panoramic head. The Acratech long lens head is designed as a telephoto lens support system while the panoramic head is designed as a multi-row panoramic head. It also works well as a long lens head.the Acratech GP Ball-Head is truly an innovative and well-designed precision product that is best for professional and amateur photographers.
3. Leveling Products – Acratech leveling products are simply the best! The Acratech leveling base is sturdy and light weight. It is used to quickly level the bottom of the tripod head to produce exact and well aligned panoramic images.
4. Accessories – Acratech doesn’t just specialize in travel photography gear but also manufactures top quality accessories such as Monitor Viewing Angle Gauge, Riser, Stainless Steel Allen Wrench, and Video Adaptor.
5. Quick Release Plates – The salient features of the Acratech quick release plates are unique as these plates are super light weight and are compatible with all Arca-Swiss type clamps. These plates are camera specific and are designed to allow access to all camera controls and functions without removing the plate.
6. Quick Release Clamps – There are plenty of Acratech clamps to choose from. Our variety includes, but is not limited to, locking lever clamp, the clamp with rubber knob or metal knob and swift clamp.
7. L Brackets and Nodal Rails – Acratech also makes the universal L bracket and nodal slides which are perfect for your photography needs.
Summing it up, Acratech manufactures professional photography products that have innovative designs, unique features, and quality precision proudly made in the USA.